Wednesday, July 15, 2015

88) Never Compare Yoga Styles - take the best from each

Today the Yoga Scene is divided in to various styles - Sivananda Yoga , Iyengar Yoga , Ashtanga Yoga , Krishnamacharya Yoga , Power Yoga , Bikram Yoga , Satyananda Yoga  etc etc  . Each and every style has some thing unique to offer and also has something missing and so it is unfair to compare the various yoga styles and pick out which is best . 
I started my Yoga journey from the Sivananda System of Classical Hatha Yoga ( founder Swami Vishnu devananda ) and did all my major trainings ( TTC ,ATTC , Sadhana Intensive ) only in that style from 1998-2010 but from late 2010 onwards I started expreimenting with Ashtanga Vinyasa and also Iyengar Yoga and right now my own personal practice ( at the Asana Level )  is turning towards a combination of Iyengar and Ashtanga and I consider that my training at the Sivananda Institution as a good foundation on which I am right now building my Iyengar and Ashtanga Vinyasa practice .The reason why I am moving to the Iyengar and Ashtanga Style of practice ( at the asana level )  is that I want my own asana practice  to be a form of art and I have found that Iyengar and Ashtanga Yoga styles have that element of art and grace in them at the Asana level that I could not find in other styles and hence right now focusing on a combination of Iyengar ( to develop structural perfection in asanas )  and Ashtanga Yoga ( to develop the dynamic flow  )  for my own personal practice .  But Sivananda Style of Yoga is very holistic and goes beyond just developing expertise in Asanas .So basically now keeping the spirit of the Sivananda Yoga as the base I am focusing more on developing perfection in the Asanas using Iyengar , Ashtanga and other Yoga systems beyond Sivananda .So from now on many posts in this blog will contain inputs from Iyengar , Ashtanga Yoga practices  as well as from other Yoga styles especially at the Asana level for I beleive in taking the best from each system to improve my own Yoga practice both on and off the Mat .

No comments: